LEWISBURG—Slifer House Museum will host its annual Summer Concert Series at 7 p.m. Thursday evenings June 29 through July 27 at the museum, 80 Magnolia Drive, on the campus of RiverWoods.
The following concerts are scheduled for the 2017 Summer Concert Series.
- June 29: Sunbury City Band – Built upon the traditional concert band, the SCB focuses to educate its members and entertain their audience with a wide variety of wind band literature. For our 2017 Slifer House performance, they are thrilled to be presenting their “Sounds of Summer” concert series.
- July 6: Seasoned Sounds – Seasoned Sounds is a contemporary Big Band that plays music in the swing era tradition of the late 1930s and 1940s. The group specializes in the traditional big band swing music originally performed by groups led by Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Woody Herman, and many more.
- July 13: Nate Myers & The Aces – Nate Myers & the Aces plays blues, funk, hip hop, rockabilly, country and improvisation. They take all these styles they love and weave them into a tapestry of their own. Lead by Nate Myers on vocals and harmonica, the band creates a loose, casual atmosphere in which everyone can relax and have a good time!
- July 20: Rustical Quality String Band – The Rustical Quality String Band, from State College, PA, has been playing Appalachian string band music since 1978. The band has performed for a wide variety of events, including weddings, rehearsal dinners, anniversary parties, outdoor festivals, college campus concerts, and folk and square dances.
- July 27: Catawissa Military Band – Among the older community bands in central Pennsylvania, the Catawissa Military Band was organized in early 1878. Originally named the Catawissa Silver Cornet Band, the group came to be known as “The Military Band” following an appearance as the regimental band of the 12th Pa. National Guard in a Philadelphia parade honoring ex-President Grant in 1879.
Please bring your own seating. Donations are welcome to offset the cost of the series to the museum. Concerts conclude with ice cream socials. During inclement weather, concerts will be held in Marlow Hall, RiverWoods Nursing Care Center.
The 2017 Slifer House Museum Summer Concert Series is made possible with the help of the following sponsors: Arnett Carbis Toothman, Hepco Construction, Mifflinburg Bank & Trust, Sodexo and West Milton State Bank
The museum is open to the public by appointment only. Guided tours are given by appointment only from May 1 – August 31, 11 A.M. – 2 P.M. Please make appointments by calling 570-524-2245. Active military families receive free admission through the Blue Star Museum program. Call 524-2245 or email Kirsten.Winner@albrightcare.org for more information.
Sunbury City Band will kick off the 2017 Summer Concert Series at Slifer House Museum at 7 p.m. on June 29. The band will present their “Sounds of Summer” concert.
Nate Myers & the Aces will play blues, funk, hip hop, rockabilly, country and improvisation at 7 p.m. July 13 at Slifer House Museum as part of its annual Summer Concert Series.